Saturday, March 6, 2010

On Disposable Diapers

I am by no means an expert in this area as I mostly use cloth diapers. I did however receive several different brands as gifts when the baby was on his way and I feel lucky in that I've had the opportunity to try them and compare them.

Overall, my biggest complaint is leaks. Disposables don't hold as much as cloth diapers do so you really have to pay attention, especially if your baby doesn't always let you know when the diaper needs to be changed like mine. I experience a leak pretty much every time my baby is in disposable and it doesn't matter if it is pee or poo. They are much better at holding in pee. I don't know if it is just something they overlook or what, but I get some serious poo leaks around the legs and especially up the back - as if they are not designed to hold it in.

Ok, so here is my comparison of the brands I have tried.

Luvs - they run a little small. They have a pretty good fit over all, but they don't hold a ton of pee. I had these early on (they were given to me in diaper cakes) and I had pee leakages a lot.

Huggies - These run big. I've used Huggies at two different times, when the baby was first born and we used the newborn size since the cloth diapers were huge and now in size 3. The newborn ones were nice since they had the cut out for the belly button. I've also used them more recently since I was given a box of the larger size. I usually don't have issues with pee, but poo constantly leaks out the back - and it doesn't have to be a large amount either. They do fit well, they are narrower between the legs and the tops are wider so they fit better than some.

Parent's Choice - These are the Wal-Mart brand and I have to say I'm not a fan. These diapers size-wise are middle of the road, not big or small. They are a little boxy and straight, so they don't have a good fit in my opinion. The texture is weird too. It seems like a combination of plastic and paper and I can't imagine they are very comfortable against the skin. I also got leaks with these diapers pretty consistantly.

Pampers - Also middle of the road in size, not on the big side, not on the small side. They are not as curved as Huggies (in shape), but they still fit pretty well. If I had to argue, I'd say I've gotten a bit fewer leaks with these, but the poo leaks are pretty much inevitable.

If I try other brands, I'll be sure to add them to the list and let you know what I think. I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment