Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On Breastfeeding

I am a huge breastfeeding advocate and I encourage everyone to do it. I have learned though, that some people have unavoidable hurdles when it comes to breastfeeding and I have become more understanding of them than I started out.

Before the baby was born I took a breastfeeding class which I recommend to anyone that has not breastfed before. Dads should take it too, just to know how to help out. I learned so much. I had no idea that there was so much involved so I am super thankful to have taken it. They also discussed what things were normal, how diapers should look, what a good latch is, and various ways you can position the baby. In the class they went over some not normal things like sore or cracking nipples and what to do, yeast infections and what to look for, and how to deal with a plugged duct and what it feels like if you have one - among other topics. I felt prepared when the class was over.

Breastfeeding is natural, but it is not easy or instinctual. I think this is why so many women have difficulties. You and the baby have to learn how it all works and for someone that has never done it before, help is often needed from an outside source. This sucks, because it means someone other than your husband and baby are seeing you exposed and it can be really uncomfortable. For me though, since it was a matter of that or not figuring it out, I'd rather deal with the exposure. After all, I had just gone through labor which is just about the most undignified thing ever, so what is exposing your boobs to a stranger after that?

I only remember highlights about our early days breastfeeding. I remember when my milk came in about three days after the baby was born and I was engorged and in pain. I think the baby had difficulty latching on because of it. I pumped off some (less than an ounce from both sides) just to get rid of the excess pressure which was a weird experience at the beginning. I have a Medela Pump In Style. It's a great pump, top of the line. It looks like a shoulder bag and it come with a cooler, ice pack and bottles, everything you need to get started.



The baby seemed to latch ok otherwise, but I was very sore, especially on the left side. My mother-in-law (a lactation consultant) told me the baby was latched correctly though. My mom told me that is normal (after all, she breastfed 9 kids) and that your nipples just have to toughen up. She was right eventually, but I did have trouble for a couple of weeks. I got through it with the use of some HydroGel pads (made by Medela) that helped cool my nipples and lanolin ointment which is a must for any breastfeeding mom. One time I had to use a nipple shield which just goes over the nipple to protect it and it helped because I was close to tears with him latching on that side without it.

Eventually though, my nipples toughened up and we were pretty successful. The baby nursed every 2-3 hours on demand. He never had a problem waking up to eat after we left the hospital. I do remember a night early on (within the first week) when he seemed to not be able to be satisfied. I don't know if it was a supply issue or what, but I remember we had just gone to bed and the baby awakened to eat. They told me in my breastfeeding class to always offer both sides, so after he seemed like he was done on the right, I switched him to the left, but when he detached from that side, he still was crying and acting hungry. I spent two hours switching him from one side to the next, back and forth. I was so tired and frustrated, but the baby needed to eat, so that is what I did. He eventually fell asleep and I was able to get a bit of sleep.

Before too long, the baby started spitting up. A lot. It looked as if he spit up as much as he was taking in. I had one mom tell me he might have reflux (as in, acid reflux). I had read about it before and he didn't show any symptoms of pain when it happened, so I wasn't terribly worried (and neither was his pediatrician when I mentioned it at his 2 mo. visit). Besides, he was still making dirty diapers and growing, so I didn't have to worry about nutrition. I switched to feeding him on only one side at each feeding session and his spitting up declined some. That of course means that I have to feed more frequently, but that is ok. He kept doing it predictably though - he'd spit up immediately after a feeding until he started to hiccup - and we just keep a lot of burp rags around. Lately though, he doesn't spit up immediately after a feeding, he may spit up a bit, but he holds onto his meal a bit longer and spits up at random times, sometimes large amounts, sometimes a few dribbles. His growth hasn't slowed. I have no clue what he takes in at a meal, but he is able to satisfy himself. We are still feeding every 2-4 hours, which is better considering is was every 1-1 1/2 when we first switched to one side per feeding.

When teeth entered the picture, it seemed as if some of the early problems resurfaced. Even though it isn't intentional, sometimes those teeth dig in and nursing is painful. Repositioning usually fixes this issue. I have to use the lanolin sometimes and this time, my right side is the sore one. He occasionally bites, but that happens typically at the end of a feeding. I cut him off when he does that. This habit has declined some.

I keep a stash of pumped milk in my freezer in case someone else needs to look after the baby which isn't often, but I have it just in case. Pumping is weird. I don't get much, especially if I pump after he has eaten (only about 1/2-1 oz). Since we only feed on one side, I can typically pump out of the other and get 3-4 oz. If I block feed (just on one side for several feedings) I can pump off 5-6 oz from one side.  He is more efficient than the pump and deflates me much more than the pump does. This I hear/read about from a lot of moms though. Here are my storage bags. They have a strap that wraps around the nozzle and you can pump directly into them and they are measured so you know how much you got out.



I have joined a breastfeeding support group which is cool. I sometimes feel guilty about going because I don't really need help with breastfeeding. We haven't had any major problems, but it does make me realize how easy we have had it and exposes me to a lot of things I never could have imagined and obstacles that moms have come across and have been able to overcome. I really encourage finding a support group, especially if you have any issues or concerns with breastfeeding. It is nice to know you aren't the only one with issues or that there are other people you can talk to about it. And it is nice to have someone there that is trained in breastfeeding and identifying and solving problems. There are tons of problems that can be overcome if you just have the right information and support.

I have learned so much from the consultant that they have at the meetings such as risk factors for low supply like obesity and diabetes (both gestational and regular). I have also learned there are tons of supplements to help increase low supply and sometimes a combination of several is necessary. I've also learned that power-pumping (pumping for a few minutes every time you walk by your pump - meaning several times an hour between feedings) can help to increase stimulation and supply. And those are just a few things I've learned. Low supply and latch issues seem to be the most common. Some moms are able to overcome the problems, and some learn to work with them.

So, here are a few things I've figured out through breastfeeding:

Get comfy. Some of my nursing sessions have lasted 45 minutes, and yes, that was on one side. This happened much more when he was younger and would fall asleep nursing. Either way, you have to be comfortable or else it won't go well. If you are in an awkward position, you can end up sore at the end of a session. It is best if you get comfortable first and then settle in the baby.


The Boppy is a wonderful tool. I thought I wouldn't need one and just thought is was a luxury to have. I figured I'd just use pillows. Stupid me. Pillows slip. The Boppy is firm to support the baby and it stays in place. It will relieve your back by preventing you from slouching forward to nurse and give your arms a break so you don't have to hold and support the baby for the entire feeding session. I had to eat my words after I got mine and I thank my husband continuously for making me get it.


Cloth bra pads will save you money! Not every mom will leak, I do though. When you change out your bra pads every time they get milk in them, as they manufacturer recommends, you go through a large box in a month and a half. Cloth pads will absorb just as well, prevent you from leaking on your clothing, and save you money because you can just throw them in the washer. They can be a little lumpy if not positioned well, but that is easily overcome. You can find them at Babies R Us and they have several brands to choose from. If you are talented, you can sew your own with several layers of cotton fabric.

Nursing in public is not that big of a deal. I was never really bothered by people doing it, but I know it can make people uncomfortable. I figure, hey, the kid needs to eat and there is no reason I need to stay at home 24/7 just because I breastfeed. I was a little uncomfortable at first and went to the car once to feed the baby or would go to a room when visiting people, but I hated shutting myself off from the activity and it just isn't necessary. A blanket, or even better a nursing cover, is all you need to keep yourself covered and modest. When they get older and can bat the blanket out of the way, a cover is helpful because it doesn't fall down. You can get clips too to attach to a blanket if you don't want to spend the money on a cover - they just attach like the "bib" at the dentist.



Lanolin is a pain in the butt, but useful. It is thick and waterproof. Massage the tube to warm it up and make it less thick and help it spread easier. Also, make sure you have something to wipe it off of your hands with after you apply it because you won't be able to wash it off - even with soap. It is also helpful to put it on before showering if you have sensitive or sore nipples, it really does help.



Pumping is no where near as efficient as the baby - even if you have a top quality pump. If my baby only ate what I could pump, he'd be starving. It is so weird how he can empty me out and I still feel half full and the pump will be pulling out drops. Feed the baby when you can at the breast. It'll help to prevent plugged ducts and mastitis because the baby can empty you out completely and the pump doesn't always do that well. Plus, biology has a weird effect on milk content when the baby nurses directly so the milk is produced specifically for the baby's needs - weird, but true. Keep a stash of milk in the freezer for that "what if" factor. If you are going back to work, it is a good idea to start your stash early. Babies do all kinds of weird things when you are separated from them - you don't know if your baby will be super eater because the bottle is easier than nursing or if baby will go on a hunger strike until you see him again - better to be safe and have plenty.

Breast milk spit-up doesn't stain. A quick wipe to get the big stuff up is all you need when it happens. No stain remover is needed! Whoo-hoo! The clothes are good as new after a washing. Don't let wet, spit-up filled burp rags go in the laundry balled up though. Open them, let them air and dry or put them in the wash right away. Otherwise, it creates a great home for colonies of stuff to grow - ew.

Breastfed babies don't poop everyday when they are older. My baby started this at about 3.5 mo. He'd have a big poo every 2-3 days and small amount in between. I was told this could happen because breast milk is so much more digestible. It was great while it lasted (until 5.5 - 6 mo), but then teething caused gut issues and the multiple-times-a-day-pooping is back, but that is a discussion for another day.

Babies will comfort nurse. Babies are comforted by suckling. This is why pacifiers work. Though I don't advocate shoving a pacifier in their mouth just to shut them up, sometimes it does help comfort them and it is a good tool for bedtime. I don't use a pacifier at all, but I will let him latch on just to get that comfort and it works for going down at night too. They sometimes want to do this when they aren't hungry. They won't be pulling out much milk, just snuggling and suckling.


If you have problems, get help. I highly recommend getting help to see if there is a solution to the problem if you are having trouble. As I mentioned before, I have learned about a ton of things that can cause problems and how to fix them, even if I never experienced them. A lot of moms have problems nursing and there is no reason to be embarrassed or frustrated. You aren't the only one! There are tons of trained people out there and they can help - and I'm not talking about the pediatrician, because often they just say to supplement rather than help you figure out a solution, they just aren't always trained in the specifics of breastfeeding (no offense against them, they just aren't). And in the end if they can't find a solution, at least you know you exhausted all options. Also, a support group is essential, especially if there is no one to support you at home or in your day to day life. A good support network greatly increases a moms nursing success rate.

I hope my experiences and these bits of info are helpful. Good luck with breastfeeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment