Monday, March 1, 2010

On Cloth Diapering

Telling people you are cloth diapering gets all kinds of responses. I was excited to discover that more people are supportive of it than not, even if most people don't use cloth diapers themselves. Most people just ask how it's working for us. I have gotten some negative feedback with people that seem to think that I couldn't keep it up or that I'm crazy for doing it, but I truly believe it has saved us money and it is not all that difficult... once you have it figured out.

Let me start by saying, I do not do cloth diapering full time. We are part time cloth diaper users and it works well for us. Since I stay at home, cloth diapering is easy when we are at home, but we do use disposable when we go out or run errands. This makes it easy to change a diaper when we are in public and just toss it. That way we don't worry about carrying the dirty or wet diaper with us. It also makes it easier to leave the baby with child care at places like the YMCA where I take my yoga classes.

There are so many options out there when you choose to use cloth diapers. At first I was lost. I didn't know what supplies I'd need or even what diapers to get. I tried to read in forums and such, but was confused by words like pocket diapers, all in ones (AIO), and prefolds. In the end, I chose a diapering system based on a sample pack that my mother-in-law sent me (it had a diaper, liner, and cover) and it seemed pretty basic. More research on the company website made me feel comfortable with their products and their care so I ordered a whole set of 24 diapers, 12 liners, and four covers.

This is my diapering system:

I use Mother-Ease diapers. The diapers are one-size (OS) that close with snaps so I don't have to deal with pins. They are a terry cloth material, so they are kind of like towels. The liners snap into the inside of the diapers for added absorption. The covers have elastic edges and a plastic type lining that keep messes in. I actually have fewer leaks with the cloth diapers than I have experienced with the disposable - and that goes for wet and dirty leaks - and brand doesn't seem to make much difference.

My diaper pail:
 
Who needs a fancy diaper pail? With the diapers I have, I can have a wet pail. We just went and picked up a 5 gallon bucket with a lid at the hardware store. It works great. I fill the bucket about 2/3-3/4 full of water and add some stain fighter. The diapers soak until the bucket is full and it is time to wash. This happens about every 2-3 days. Some cloth diapers do not allow the use of a wet pail, so they use a dry pail. The same type of bucket can be used, just line it with a mesh bag to keep the diapers in until they are ready to wash. The mesh liner bag helps to aerate the diapers and is a must if you have a dry pail.

My wipes:

 
I figured since I was using cloth diapers I might as well use cloth wipes too. This system is pretty cool. The wipes are kept wet in the warmer so they are moist and warm for wiping dirty and wet bottoms. The warmer has a pad that goes in the bottom to keep bacteria, mold, and mildew from growing and gets changed every three months. As long as the liner is kept wet too, it all works out. The wipes are bamboo, but washcloths can be used too. The bamboo ones don't go in the dryer so as soon as they are done washing with the diapers, they get rolled and put back in the warmer.

Washing: Washing the diapers can be a little challenging/frustrating. I haven't figured out a good way to rinse the diapers before putting them in the pail, so they go in and soak as is. When time comes to wash them, I simply pour the dirty water down the toilet. I then wash the diapers in a regular cycle with regular detergent. I do make sure that an extra rinse cycle runs. Because I am very particular about stains, nothing goes in the dryer that isn't spot free. I use Clorox 2 to spot treat stains that didn't come out and let it set for at least 5 minutes. If I have enough diapers that didn't come clean the first time, I let them set and rewash. If there are just a few, I'll let them set and put them back in the pail until it is full again. I rarely have to send diapers through three or more washes.

So, that is how I do it. I'll go ahead and share some info that I have learned from my research and from talking to other moms. First, a guide to the different type of diapers!

Flat fold - flat fold diapers are just a piece of flat cloth. They must be folded to size and pinned into place with diaper pins. These were more commonly used many years ago. (I use these for burp rags, they are great for that purpose!) These diapers need a cover or "rubber" pants to protect clothing.
Prefold - prefold diapers are sewn with a thicker area down the center for absorbency and can just be pinned in place without folding for sizing. Sizes vary and you will probably need to have a variety of sizes and change as the baby grows.
One-size (OS) - one-size diapers grow with the baby. They are adjustable for size to fit the baby at any stage of growth. Newer one-size diapers have plastic snaps around the legs or waist for easy adjustment as the baby grows to achieve the best fit for whatever size the baby is.
Pocket diapers - pocket diapers have a space sewn in between layers to add a liner for added absorbency. This keeps the liner from moving or shifting.
All-in-One (AIO) - all-in-one diapers are very popular for modern cloth diapering moms. These diapers have the cover incorporated into the diaper so a separate protective cover is not needed. They will protect leaks all on their own. These diapers typically can not be soaked in a wet pail.

Modern cloth diapers often have velcro or snaps for closures so pins aren't always needed, but they are still available for flat fold and prefold diaper users.

There are many brands out there that are available, but they can be hard to find. They can be ordered online or found at smaller boutiques or consignment shops. One type, G-diapers, are available at baby and grocery stores. They are midway between cloth and disposable use since they have a reusable cover and a disposable liner.

I am happy with the choice I made about the diapers I use. If you are interested, I'd talk to other moms and try different types to see what you like. Most of the moms that I talk to on a regular basis have tried different ones before finding the brand and style they like. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I use the Mother-Ease One Sizes, too, as part of my cloth-diapering collection. When the weather is warmer and we thus have more daylight, I put the diapers out in the sun to dry and bleach after taking them out of the washer. It's amazing how well the sun works to take out stains! I'm looking forward to longer days; those diapers sure are getting dingy. I may try Clorox 2 now and see if that helps in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I didn't mention is that I always send everything through an extra rinse cycle. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better that I'm getting any residual detergent or stain remover out.

    ReplyDelete