Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On Washing Diapers

In various forums and discussion groups (both live and online) the topic of diaper care has come up and there seems to be a lot that goes into it and a lot that can confuse people. We hear that cloth diapering is better for a number of reasons related to baby health, financial ease, environmental factors, etc., but then when the conversation comes up about caring for those diapers, everything seems to get really confusing. There are special detergents, special diaper creams to use for the baby that are safe on the diapers, line drying, stripping, and more that comes up and it can seem almost overwhelming to the point where you'd want to throw in the towel just based on that! I hope here I can simplify things a bit to make it seem less cumbersome.

First off, don't get too worried about what others are doing to care for their diapers compared to what you are doing. The reason? Most people like different types of diapers (and these days the variety of cloth diapers is astounding). Different diapers have different care instructions. So, consider that before you worry that you aren't doing all the stuff that someone else is. Consider first what diapers they have versus what you use. That in and of itself may make a big difference.

When purchasing diapers, take note of the care instructions. Take these things into consideration when chosing diapers and caring for those that you have purchased:

- Do you need to pre-wash before use? How many times?
- What kind of pail should be used? Wet or dry?
- Do you need to use particular detergents for cleaning?
- Will you need to line dry or can you use a traditional dryer?
- Should certain diaper rash creams be avoided when using these diapers?
- What stain removers are safe to use? Is bleach allowed?
- Are there different care instructions for covers, diapers, AIOs, or pockets made by the same manufacturer?

Try not to get overwhelmed, but prepare yourself with how to care for the diapers. Take note also, if the instructions vary if you choose several different types of diapers to use. How you care for your diapers can affect how long they last, so make sure you follow recommendations.

Here is a more detailed write up of how I care for my diapers:
- First off the diapers - I use Mother-ease cotton terry OS (one-size) fitted snap closure diapers, snap-in cotton terry liners, and Mother-ease Air Flow covers. I also use bamboo terry wipes.
- The pail - I use a 5 gallon bucket from a local home improvement store. Nothing fancy. I add a splash of vinegar and a splash of Clorox 2 (it's bleach free) and fill the bucket about 2/3rds full. Used diapers are emptied of solids in the toilet and placed directly into the pail to soak before washing which is roughly 2-3 days max.

For the diapers:
- Washing - Sometimes I pour off the excess water from the bucket in the toilet, other times the whole thing goes into the washer (I have a top loader). The water level is set as I would for a normal load based on how many diapers I'm washing. I first run the diapers, liners, and wipes through a double rinse cycle (I start the cycle on the rinse setting of a normal wash and have the extra rinse cycle function turned on). When the two rinses are complete, I then add detergent - I use Tide liquid in the same amount as I would any other similar sized load - and run a regular wash cycle on the casual setting (with the extra rinse cycle still on). I will then reset the washer for another double rinse like I did at the beginning. If the diapers are particularly malodorous, I will add a splash of vinegar before the final double rinse cycle.
- Drying - All of my diapers and liners go into the dryer if they have been washed clean. I do not put anything in the dryer that has staining on it. I dry the diapers and liners on a medium heat setting. According to the care instructions for the wipes, they do not go into the dryer. I'll leave them damp and place them back in the warmer adding excess water if necessary.
- For stains - For the diapers, liners, and wipes that have staining, I treat directly with Clorox 2 (as mentioned, it's bleach free) and spread it to coat the entire stained area - this must be done quickly since the diapers and liners will start absorbing the stain remover making it harder to spread out. I let them sit for at least 15 minutes. They are then washed again as mentioned above without the initial double rinse.

For the covers:
- My covers are washed with the rest of the baby laundry. I use Tide liquid detergent, wash on a gentle cycle, and tumble dry on low. Similar to the diapers if there is staining, they are pre-treated and washed again before being dried in the dryer.

So, in a nutshell for me, the process is: Rinse, wash, rinse. Don't dry if stained.

One more note: Stripping
- Many moms notice that their diapers begin to have decreased absorbency after some use. Occasionally this happens because of build-up of detergent, stain removers, or creams on the diapers. "Stripping" is simply a series of rinses to wash away any impurities that may have built up over time and could be affecting the absorbency of the diapers or causing irritation to the baby's bottom. Some times this needs to be done every couple of months or so, but is usually done on an as needed basis. I'm not sure if it's because of the type of diapers I use or the excess rinses I run on my diapers (admittedly it's a lot of rinse cycles) but I have never had to strip and have never noticed a decrease in performance.

I'm sorry if this is long, but I hope it's useful. If you do run into problems, seek the advice of the manufacturer or other moms that use the same types of diapers you do. It will be the most helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment