Thursday, June 9, 2011

On Natural Parenting (the Mainstream Way)

I was having a phone conversation with a friend of mine the other evening and I mentioned the mom group I'm in and how many of them are a bit "granola" or "crunchy" and how I fall in line with a number of the things they do. He asked if I was always like that or if I had gotten worse since he knew me in high school. Despite being a member of my high school's environmental club, I told him it may have gotten a little worse. Then I got to thinking about it as we talked a bit more. See, I'm not necessarily idealistic. So, while I may adhere to many of the "natural parenting" habits that many other "crunchy" mamas have (and you've probably seen it before if you've read previous blog posts); my personal reasons for being "crunchy" are often much more mainstream and at times, just plain selfish. Keep reading to see what I mean. Here are some examples of my "crunchy" parenting and my less than noble motives:

Breastfeeding:
This is one area where I get pretty crunchy. I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate and I do truly believe/know that it is what is best for babes. I'm even mildly anti-formula and fall in line with the recommendation that formula be the 4th option when it comes to baby feeding. I know in some cases it's necessary so I'm glad it's available; but, most moms can feed their babies by nursing and all too often they fall victim to "booby traps," have poor education or support, and/or have a lack of discipline and/or determination. As a bonus, breastfeeding is cheap, as in free, so that works out great for me too. But that's just a cherry on top.

Co-sleeping/Bed-sharing:
While some moms are fans of bed-sharing (all too often confused with co-sleeping) because it brings them closer to the baby for bonding or because of studies that have shown a decrease in SIDs, I do it because I'm just plain lazy. Yep, that's right. If the baby is right there with a boob in his face, I don't have to get up when he awakens me at night. I just plug him in and go back to sleep. I actually used to be against bed-sharing and thought that it was dangerous and it was likely that I'd smother the baby in my sleep. After falling asleep nursing from sheer exhaustion multiple times with my first, I finally gave in and let him sleep in the bed on purpose. I also did some more research and learned that many doctors actually recommend it as long as you follow certain safety measures to prevent accidental suffocation. So, after having my fears relieved a bit by my research (and discovering that I literally do not move when I sleep next to the baby), I let my laziness take over as well as my desire to get some sleep at night. With baby number two, I thought of having him co-sleep (in the room but on a separate surface) but my laziness took over and I just let him sleep in the bed.

Cloth Diapering:
Save the earth! Don't fill up the landfills with non-biodegradable petroleum based diapers! Don't put those chemicals on your sweet sensitive babies! Meh. Sorry, I can't say that any of that motivated my decision to cloth diaper. My husband actually suggested it and I agreed. Our reason? It's cheap. Yep, that's right. We looked at the bottom line. While we could probably swing paying for disposables, it would put a strain on our pocket books from time to time and prevent us from making other purchases or payments. So, while other mamas are looking out for the earth, we are looking out for our finances. It really isn't much of an inconvenience even with the extra laundry so that's a non-issue, and no, it doesn't impact our water bill either. I've heard cloth diapered babies potty train sooner, so that's cool, makes my life easier - lazy me. =)

No Baby Food:
No, I don't worry about all the preservatives in artificial foods (ok, maybe some...). Again, I'm cheap. I had intended to make my own baby food. I'm too lazy for that. Starting some at 6 mo but really picking up around 8 mo when my oldest really started showing an interest in foods, we just fed him whatever we had on our plates (we did make sure to introduce new things one at a time though). Sure, I prepared foods that were softer or easier to chew at first or overcooked the veggies to make them squishy, but puree? Nah, too much trouble. I've heard that feeding this way makes it easier to introduce regular foods with varying textures. Ok, bonus, but really, I'm just cheap and lazy.

Baby-wearing:
Research says that baby-wearing comforts babies and makes them more secure by keeping them close to mama or papa. It also says that babies that are worn, learn to be more sociable since they are carried higher up and see more faces as they are carried around in public. For me, these facts are all bonuses. I like to baby-wear because it makes my life easier. See that laziness popping up again? Here are some examples: At the grocery store, I don't have to lug around that heavy car seat carrier and I don't have to worry about leaving my kid in the cart when I reach for something on the shelf. When going to the park, for a walk, or to a craft fair or similar event, I don't have to mess with that bulky stroller. Sure the carrier and stroller have their uses, but if I can just strap the baby to me, I know they are safe and I can be hands free without excessive weight to lug around. Even better, now that I have two, my stretchy wrap is a life-saver so I can wear the infant and chase my toddler.

So, yeah, in many ways I fit in with the "crunchy" moms in my mom group. I'm glad for all the benefits my kiddos get from the choices I've made, but I'd be lying if I said those were my primary motivations for doing a bunch of these things. Let's be honest, we all want what's best for our kids, but sometimes our own motives get in the way. I lucked out in some of these ways where I can be cheap and lazy and my kiddos still get some great benefits. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment