Friday, June 24, 2011

On Disposable Diapers 2

In my previous post on disposable diapers I compared several brands that I used with my first baby in the first couple of months because he was too small for the cloth diapers we had. Also, I had been given several different kinds as gifts and got to see how they all varied. If you are a follower of mine, you probably know that I cloth diaper for the most part, but I am by no means anti-disposable. I prefer the cloth because it's cheaper and I hate having to take out the trash so often with the disposables. In any case, after some time (since my last 'sposie post), I've had more opportunities to try additional types of diapers. My oldest is occasionally in disposable if we are traveling and the second one also has itty bitty hips like his brother did at first and he doesn't fit into our cloth diapers quite yet (at almost 8 weeks old). So I've been able to try a variety based on what I've been given or what I've purchased. In addition, since I started making diaper cakes  as a kind of side business to being a mom with Beth's Baby Boutique, I've learned much more about what is out there and the brands available.  Below, are my observations and comments based on the ones I've used.

Huggies Little Snugglers - These diapers I picked up because it is what we used with our first when he was first born. I really like the newborn diapers because they fit well and they have the umbilical cord cutout. I also have used the size 1, now that my infant is a little bigger and in using them after using the Pampers Swaddlers (you'll see my review below) I find that they are a bit smaller than the Swaddlers and narrower between the legs which I feel gives a better fit. Now, I seem to remember in my last diaper review that Huggies ran big, but I think that might be with their regular Snug and Dry line rather than the Little Snugglers.

Huggies Little Movers - For my toddler, these are the diapers I've purchased most often, though, I'll be honest, it's been a while since I got them. I've purchase Pampers more recently (I had a coupon) and been given some Pampers so I haven't needed to buy them. I like these because they fit very well and have a narrow crotch area. I don't recall having too many leaks with these that I've used in size 3 & 4.

Pampers Baby Dry - Now these diapers I've used in just about every size from when my first was a baby to now as a toddler. My main complaint with them is that they don't hold urine very well, at least not in the bigger sizes and definitely not very well overnight. My most recent experience with these was when I went to visit my mom for three weeks with my oldest (this was before I had the second baby) and my experience with them led me to vow never to use disposables for that long of a period again. The leaks drove me crazy. That and the amount of garbage. Also, the size 5 diapers, which should fit my toddler just fine right now, because he is well within the weight range for the diapers, fit kinda narrowly and his bum cheeks get a bit exposed. Maybe I'm just too used to the cloth diapers and how wide they fit, but it still seems too narrow.

Pampers Swaddlers - These diapers have the new Dry Max, a feature that Pampers added to several of their diapers to improve absorption. This addition was made after the birth of my first so I didn't get an opportunity to use them when he was little. These were the diapers that they had at the hospital in the newborn size and in general I liked them. However, after we came home from the hospital and I got an opportunity to try them again in size 1 when my baby got a bit bigger, I liked them less. The diapers contain a mesh layer that is supposed to let moisture go through it to keep the surface against the baby's skin dry. I guess it kinda works like putting a grate in a puppy's cage (not that this is recommended). In any case, what I found out was that the mesh liner sticks to my baby's bottom every time he poops. I'm not sure if this would be the case with formula fed babies or poop from older babies, but infant breastfed poop seems to not be very compatible with these diapers. They also are kinda big - maybe that's just compared to what I was using prior, but they are a bit wide between the legs and at the waist.

Walgreens Premium - These diapers my hubby picked up when we first came home from the hospital with our second. I would have grabbed something else because I'm a bit biased toward Huggies, but he likes cheap, so he picked these up in the newborn size. I have to say, I was impressed with these. If I have to go with generic diapers, these I might get again. I liked the way they fit and I didn't have any leak issues with the exception of some poo seeping out the legs.

This time around, I've had much more success with disposables with our little baby. We have yet to experience any big blowouts, but with all the diapers I've used with our infant we have had some poo seeping out the legs at one time or another. Although, the decreased incidence of poop issues may be related to the fact that he doesn't like to have a dirty diaper so maybe he tells me more than my older son did because he didn't seem to care either way. It's also entirely possible that since he's still small, the amount in the diaper is less than it will be as he grows, but hopefully, he'll be in cloth by then and only in disposable on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment