Saturday, August 14, 2010

On the Kelty FC 3.0 (Product Review)

Yesterday we received our new hiking carrier for the baby, the Kelty FC 3.0. Now, I have to say I'm a bit unaware of the differences between a lot of different packs, but there were several things that made me select this particular one.

The Kelty FC 3.0 features a 5-point harness. This is well known to be the most secure type of harness for car seats. Another wonderful feature is the rain and sun shield. This is an extra hood you place over the baby's head so that they are protected from the elements. The sides of the hood are mesh so the baby can still see out and the hood is removable for times when it is not needed. The pack features several pockets acting as a backpack as well as a carrier where the hood can be stored as well as other necessities like water bottles and sunscreen. The pack also comes with a changing pad that has pockets for diapers and wipes. Also featured on the pack are side pockets located on the padded waist strap that are convenient for a cell phones and camera. The carrier will support a baby from 16-40 lbs and those that can fully support their head. The pack will support a total weight of 50 lbs. including child and cargo.

Aside from the many features, a friend reported that the Kelty pack they had, though an early model was extremely comfortable and she had just as much each wearing it as her husband did on their trip to the Grand Canyon and many national parks in the western US. They had rented a pack for part of their trip but found it to be significantly less comfortable than the Kelty.

So, sold on the features and the reported comfort, my husband ordered the pack. We tried it out as soon as it arrived and I fell in love with it as soon as I got it on my back. The main thing that impressed me with the pack is how well it supports the baby's weight. I found that while wearing it, I barely felt the weight of the baby at all. The pack is so well structured, that worn correctly, the child is supported by the pack and not the person carrying it. Now, I still have yet to try it hiking or on longer escapades, and I will add to the review when I get the chance, but for now, I have to say I'm extremely impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment