Monday, April 2, 2012

On the Ergo (Product Review)

On an almost daily basis, I'm telling people that I don't know how I would survive without my Ergo. And it's true. But I think it's primarily related to baby-wearing in general. My Ergo just makes it easier.

With two young children, baby-wearing is almost a must. The Ergo is a soft structured carrier (SSC) that allows for relatively quickly attaching the baby and getting on  your way. While not as quick of an in-and-out as a sling, it's speedy enough not to be cumbersome. The Ergo attaches around the waist with a heavy duty buckle and has an adjustable strap (an optional extender is available for those who need a longer strap). The main piece of the carrier covers the rump and back of the baby and shoulder straps attached to the top and side make the pack go on as though you were wearing a back pack. Babies can be worn in front, on the side, or on your back (although, I believe that very small infants with the insert should go on the front only). The shoulder straps are also adjustable for comfort and have an additional buckle that is secured at the chest or between the shoulder-blades depending on how the carrier is positioned.

I selected the Ergo Sport. This particular model has a slightly taller body thanks to the additional pocket where the hood is stored. As a result, it fits my large toddler a little bit better. Another benefit of the Ergo Sport is that it fits a wider range of adults that can carry a child. My husband at 6'3" who is built like a linebacker can wear it just as easily as I can at 5'5" and medium/small build.

My Ergo gets used just about anywhere. Because I also have a toddler, it's often easier to strap the baby to me in a carrier so I can keep up with the older child. Going to the store, I wear the baby in the Ergo and place the toddler in the shopping cart. At the mall, the toddler is in a stroller and the baby is in the Ergo. At the park, the baby is carried in the Ergo while the toddler runs around and plays. I take the carrier with me pretty much anywhere we go. At social gatherings, it is nice to have if the baby gets overwhelmed by all the activity, I can place him in the carrier and he can settle, shut down, nurse, and/or have a nap. Did I say nurse? Yep, that's right. I nurse in the Ergo too. Hands-free. And because of the structure, it's discreet too.

With the weight range up to 45 lbs., the Ergo may be the only carrier an individual needs. For very small babies the infant insert is necessary. Additional attachments/accessories include teething pads for the shoulder straps (which in my opinion are a necessity) and a storage pouch to carry small necessities like keys and a phone. As I mentioned earlier, a belt extender is also available.

I just about can't go anywhere without someone asking me about my Ergo. I commonly get questions about how comfortable it is, to which I always tell people it is very comfortable. I also get asked if the baby can face outward in it since the most widely recognized carriers allow for this. The Ergo does not, but that's ok and actually preferred. An outward facing baby cannot turn off stimulation if they get overwhelmed by everything going on. When facing their parent or caretaker in a carrier, a baby can turn toward them and block out everything going on around them. They also can sleep when facing inward as they can rest their head which is not something easily done when facing outward, another way they can't "shut down." Another benefit I like to tell people is that the design of the Ergo allows for optimal positioning. Because a baby carried in the Ergo is in a seated position, it places their weight on their rump as one would normally sit promoting proper hip positioning and if worn frequently causes no undue stress on the hips and spine as the child develops. Most commonly  people approach me to express concern for comfort because they've heard of or experienced carriers that did not work out because they were uncomfortable or they are interested in giving one as a gift to someone they know that is expecting (or themselves). I tend to give the general guidelines of recommending a higher quality carrier than you can find in big box stores and one that supports the weight of the child on the rump. I too, had a SSC that was uncomfortable and I just about gave up on wearing that type of carrier because of it. They don't have to be uncomfortable. If they are made properly for comfort of both the carrier and the baby, they are one of the best baby items to have in your arsenal.

I love my Ergo. It is my primary carrier these days (though I still do use my Moby and sling on occasion) because it is quick and easy and maximizes comfort for several hours' use at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment