Wednesday, April 21, 2010

On Diaper Rash

Ah, the joys of motherhood extend all the way to caring for red irritated bums! Unfortunately, this is something that we probably all have experienced and anyone with babies on the way (or in our futures) will experience it at some point.

There seem to be a number of tales that people tell when it comes to diaper rash. Some people tell you that breastfed babies are less likely to experience it. Some say that cloth diapers make them more likely to get it. Some babies will get a rash based on what they eat when they are introduced to certain new foods that don't agree with them. Either way, none of this really matters (with the exception of the food thing because then you can either avoid that or put off future exposure until later). In the end (on the end, rear end that is) babies get rashes.

Diaper rashes can be mild red bumps to the more severe bleeding cracked skin. My baby has experienced both. (He's breastfed, cloth diapered, and exposure to new food didn't line up - just to throw that in there.) The cause can be simple irritation, constant moisture on the skin, allergic reaction, or infection. There are many creams, salves, and powders out there that you can use, but most importantly, when it is encountered, changing the diaper often and keeping the baby as dry as possible is the across the board recommendation.

My topical treatment of choice is Desitin creamy. It started because I received some tubes in gift sets at my baby showers, but I have found that it works really well and so I've continued to use it. Desitin is also what my pediatrician mentioned to use, though I don't know if that was a brand recommendation or a random name thrown out there like we use Kleenex or Coke. Either way, I have found that sufficient lathering with it has healed even the worst of his diaper rashes.

Other moms that I've spoken with have used various other products that they would swear by or recommend. My sister-in-law hails Budreaux's Butt Paste and wouldn't use anything else. This product from what I can tell has a fairly big following. Some of the other moms I talk to like to use natural products like Motherlove Diaper Rash & Thrush salve or California Baby Diaper Rash Cream. These products also get great reviews for effectiveness, though I don't have a ton of experience with them.

A few moms that I talk to also use cloth diapers and depending on which ones you use, certain diaper creams seem to be contraindicated. The creams or salves can prevent the diaper from absorbing the moisture and therefore, it decreases the effectiveness of the diapers. If you use cloth diapers, make sure to read the instructions when it comes to which products you should or should not use. I have not had issues with my terry diapers and the Desitin Creamy, but that may not be the case with everyone.

One more note: Baby powder is commonly found in many gift sets and whatnot for babies. The intention of such a product is to help absorb moisture in the diaper and keep the baby's skin dry and free from irritation of moisture and other diaper deposits. From what I've heard, it is not recommended for use especially with very young babies because it can become airborne and can be inhaled. Use with caution if you choose to use it.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment